I just received my planner from LEADERS IN HEELS and absolutely loving it. The first page is an inspiring note from Kasia Gospos, Founder of Leaders in heels.
In the note, there were few basic questions that make you re-think your current job
- Are you doing what you love?
- Are you given an opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and grow?
- Are the people around you at work empowering and uplifting?
- Do you have a support network?
- What kind of impact do you have on people around you?
Then the note finishes with a beautiful quote, "Life is like pen and you have the power to draw whatever you can imagine, but the ink is limited, so make sure you use it wisely and create the life you love!"
I hope everyone answers YES to all the above questions. But what if the answer to few questions were NO?
My Practical Suggestions:
- Be honest with yourself and find the underlying issues of why the answer was NO.
- Look at it as an opportunity area to turn it around,
- Raise your hand more often to get more opportunities
- Find new friends at work, grow your network
- Help others around you
- Understand whys behind tasks and work you do
- Speak with your mentor or find a new mentor at work or in the community?
- Start Explore opportunities in your organisations and see if by doing those the answer to the above questions will be yes?
- Start Exploring opportunities outside of your organisation, will the answer to the above questions be yes? You may identify few knowledge gaps, give yourself time to learn and upskill and reassess the above questions again.
Time to Move on :
- If the work you do is not exciting
- If the work you do is not in line with your core values
- If the work you do is not utilising your full potential
- If you work in a non-inclusive toxic environment
- You are getting paid less than the market value by 7% or more
That said - sometimes it is time for a change and there isn't anything wrong with that!
This is a really worth while post on job crafting if you're interested.